Friday, December 16, 2011

Am I Orthorexic?

What is orthorexia? Identified in 1997 by Colorado physician Steven Bratman, MD, orthorexia is Latin for “correct eating.” Here, too, the focus isn’t on losing weight. Instead, sufferers increasingly restrict their diets to foods they consider pure, natural and healthful. Some researchers say that orthorexia may combine a touch of obsessive compulsive disorder with anxiety and warn that severely limited “healthy” diets may be a stepping stone to anorexia nervosa, the most severe - and potentially life-threatening - eating disorder.

I eat to live. Not I live to eat. Eating for me is a necessity. It's not a luxury. So I just eat when I need to. If I am not hungry, I don't eat. Why should I? It will just add calories and weight to my body. I might not be able to maintain my ideal weight until I age.

I love eating foods that are ONLY right and proper to me. Fruits and vegetables are the main courses of my diet. If I don't eat vegetables, I feel so weak. I need to eat vegetables every day in order to be strong and be able to finish all my tasks in a day. Fruits are my deserts and my carbohydrates as well. I can finish eating one kilo of bananas in one meal. That's how voracious I am when it comes to fruits.

But I don't eat all kinds of fruits. I am too picky. I'm afraid that my atopic eczema or atopic dermatitis might attack. If that happens, I will be the one in trouble, not any members of my family, not any of my friends, but myself alone. So I need to be choosy.

I just want to know if my attitude brings me closer to being orthorexic. If someone reads this who knows something about orthorexia, please leave a message or comment. 

Thank you for your time. GOD BLESS!

No comments: